Increase Access to Genetic Counseling Services in Your Practice
Genetic Support Foundation (GSF) is a charitable, independent nonprofit organization that provides a network of experienced, independentnon-directive genetic counselors to meet with your patients regarding a wide range of hereditary or genetic concerns. Some common indications for referral to GSF include:
- Family or personal history suspicious for a hereditary cancer predisposition syndrome, such as Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer syndrome caused by mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes, or hereditary colon cancer such as Lynch syndrome.
- Findings on prenatal ultrasound that increases the risk for genetic or chromosomal conditions in the fetus.
- Abnormal prenatal maternal serum screening results, including cell-free DNA, and a discussion of the risks, benefits, and limitations of diagnostic testing, such as amniocentesis.
- Patient questions or concerns about a hereditary condition, such as congenital cardiac defects, cystic fibrosis, hereditary hemochromatosis.
- Patient questions and follow-up regarding direct-to-consumer testing.
What We Offer
GSF offers patients the option to do telehealth visits from their home or their doctor’s office (where available) via HIPAA-compliant videoconferencing software. Some insurances will cover telehealth genetic counseling if it is provided when the patient is in a doctor’s office, and in these cases, insurance will also often cover a facility fee to the site where the patient is accessing the telehealh services. At this time, most insurance will not cover telehealth services to reach patients in their home. Some insurance plans will not cover telehealth regardless of where it physically takes place. We encourage patients to call their insurance company to check on their specific benefits in this regard.
When indicated, genetic testing is typically covered by insurance and can be done through a blood test or in some cases through a saliva test. Genetic Support Foundation will work with your office to develop the best plan to coordinate genetic testing for your patients and follow-up to streamline the process for you and to ensure that you get the information you need to take care of your patients in a timely manner.
Interested in learning more about setting up a telehealth site in your office? Review our checklist for telehealth sites to learn more about what is needed and contact us with questions or for more information.
Genetic Support Foundation
Questions? Get in touch