Thank you for your interest in genetic counseling services through Genetic Support Foundation (GSF). Our Olympia office is located on Olympia’s West side. GSF is an independent nonprofit organization that provides genetic counseling by board-certified and licensed genetic counselors to meet with your patients regarding a wide range of hereditary or genetic concerns.
Common indications for referral to GSF include:
- Family or personal history suspicious for a hereditary cancer predisposition syndrome, such as Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer syndrome caused by mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes, or hereditary colon cancer such as Lynch syndrome.
- Findings on prenatal ultrasound that increases the risk for genetic or chromosomal conditions in the fetus.
- Abnormal prenatal maternal serum screening results, including cell-free DNA, and a discussion of the risks, benefits, and limitations of diagnostic testing, such as amniocentesis.
- Patient questions or concerns about a hereditary condition, such as congenital cardiac defects, cystic fibrosis, and hereditary hemochromatosis.
- Patient questions and follow-up regarding direct-to-consumer testing.
Is Genetic Counseling Covered by Insurance?
Genetic counseling is covered by Medicaid and also by most commercial insurance plans. We are “In-Network” with:
- First Choice Health
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Washington Options, Inc
- Community Health Plan of Washington
When indicated, genetic testing is typically covered by insurance and can be done through a blood test or in some cases through a saliva test. Genetic Support Foundation will work with your office to develop the best plan to coordinate genetic testing and follow-up for your patients and to streamline the process for you to ensure that you get the information you need to take care of your patients in a timely manner.
How to refer:
Please fax demographics, relevant medical records, and insurance information along with the referral form to 844.813.3892. Upon receiving the referral, we will contact the patient to schedule a genetic counseling appointment.
Interested in learning more? Feel free to contact us with any questions:
Genetic Support Foundation
1800 Cooper Point Road SW, Building #14
Olympia, WA 98502
Questions? Get in touch