Finding out that your baby has Down syndrome during the pregnancy is typically a really tough time for patients, partners, and their families. This is not necessarily what you anticipated or expected for your pregnancy. Before making a decision to terminate, we do encourage individuals and couples to make sure that they have all of the information they need to make an informed decision. You can find up-to-date information regarding Down syndrome HERE.
If you are at the point where you have made the heart-wrenching and very difficult decision to terminate, you are not alone. This is such a hard decision and we acknowledge that this is a choice that many individuals and couples make for a variety of reasons. One thing that the GSF team has learned over the years is that there are many different religious, cultural, and personal factors that play into this decision. Often times this is a choice that is made in cases where the pregnancy was planned and wanted, which can make this decision even more agonizing.
Your doctor should be able to walk you through all of the logistics of this process and support you. However, we have a list of some supportive resources below. If we can assist you in any other way, please contact us.
A Heartbreaking Choice http://www.aheartbreakingchoice.com
This website supports women who have made the “Heartbreaking Choice” to terminate a much wanted pregnancy due to a poor prenatal diagnosis, problems with their own health, or for the health of another fetus (selective reduction).
- A Mother’s Dilemma, by Wendy Lyon, Molly A. Minnick. Pineapple Press, 1993.
- A Time to Decide, a Time to Heal: For Parents Making Difficult Decisions About Babies They Love, by Molly A. Minnick, Kathleen J. Delp, edited by Mary C. Ciotti. Pineapple Press, 1992.
- Difficult Decisions: For Families Whose Unborn Baby Has a Serious Problem, by Patricia Fertel. Centering Corporation, 2004.
- Our Heartbreaking Choices: 46 Women Share Their Stories of Interrupting a Much-Wanted Pregnancy, by Christie Brooks. IUniverse, 2008.
- Precious Lives, Painful Choices: Prenatal Decision-Making Guide, by Sherokee Ilse. Wintergreen Press, 1993.
Questions? Get in touch